Enhancing online finance functions and providing strategic support to the Council.
In September 2013 in partnership with the London Borough of Barnet, Capita created the Customer and Support Group (CSG) to deliver the Council’s back office services for 10 years.
Under the CSG, the transformation of the finance service has played a major role in revolutionising the way the Council and suppliers transact, while offering enhanced strategic support to Council services.
This complex, cross-council transformation programme involved the replacement of SAP, the Council’s legacy function, with Capita’s digital finance system, Integra. The service has also been re-designed to best support the Council’s financial strategy and to provide added value to individual workstreams.
“Strong financial performance and strategy is the backbone to delivering an effectively run Council. Working with Capita has given us the expertise to successfully deliver this complex transformation against ambitious timescales, which is future proofing our finance service and delivering further opportunities for services. Alongside greater automation and financial transparency across the Council, Capita has also re-shaped the finance function to give us greater resilience and support through the accountancy functions provided - something that will prove invaluable as times of austerity continue.” John Hooton, Deputy Chief Operating Officer, London Borough of Barnet
Key achievements include:
- Contributing to £126m worth of savings over the lifetime of the 10 year contract
- Implementing a new finance system to deliver greater automation across accounts payable and accounts receivable processes
- Developing an online platform for suppliers, with budget monitoring and providing a single view of debt
- Being one of the first local authorities to complete their statutory year-end accounts, which achieved high accuracy and didn’t require any financial adjustments following the audit process
- Introducing electronic scanning and invoicing from Capita’s digital print mailroom in Darlington
- Re-designing the finance team to provide greater resilience
- Up-skilling finance managers to provide strategic financial support across Barnet’s services